Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Shepherd


"He tends His flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in His arms
and carries them close to His heart;
He gently leads those that have young."
Isaiah 40:11

This is one of my favorite verses at this time in my life. The bible is so full of word pictures of a Shepherd and His flock. It is comforting to know that God is gently leading me right now, and that He loves young children so much, and He holds them in His arms. I find it such a beautiful thought that when one of His sheep has gone astray, He will search for the lost sheep until He can bring it back to the fold. And that in the fold, there are many sheep. The sheep all keep each other warm at night when it is cold. And they huddle together when there is danger. That reminds me of dear friends and family members who stick by me in good times and bad. It also reminds me of all the encouragement I receive from the Lord Himself, and other wonderful believers. I am not struggling right now. But in the business of daily life, when it is hard to even find time to think, in the middle of the joy, and excitement, and busyness, I take strength in knowing that the Good Shepherd is gently leading me and my young ones. Praise the Lord. I am His sheep.

No comments: