Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pioneers

Who would have ever thought that I would learn so much by home schooling. I learn how to rely on God's strength from day to day (but I am sure every mom learns that). I learn that it is very hard to get out the door and be on time for a morning class trip. And I learn about random elementary school subjects like pioneers. I love pioneers. Today we went with one of our groups to a pioneer village. It was so cold! But it was so fun, and very interesting. The thing I find the most interesting is that the pioneers often only had 1-3 rooms in their house, which I know from watching Little House on the Prairie...and everyone slept in the same bedroom. My big questions is, how in the world did they get all their kids to sleep, and how in the world did they ever have more than one child? The latter question is obviously an adult thought, but really...it was so cold in the house, and their kids all slept right beside them. Another interesting fact is that if you went to spend the night in a haft way house/hotel, you would have to share a bed with 3 other people...and the bed was no bigger than a double bed...and you might have to share the bed with a perfect stranger...hmmm...interesting stuff eh...I asked Brendan what his favorite part was and he said the school house, very good answer I must admit...and when I asked Keegan, he said the hotel...we had a great day...with a lot of good hands on learning. I love home schooling and pioneers!

2 comments:

Robin Saylor said...

Don't tell me you were here in London? We love Pioneer Village ... you'll have to come up and hang out for a day in the summer when it's warm. We've been reading the Little House books. The kids love them, but they can't get over the fact that they actually ate bunnies! (Bunnies are animal, not vegetable you know!).
Love the blog - good work.

ADasa said...

I love pioneers, but I have to say, my kids don't! They roll their eyes when I mention pioneers now -- they much preferred the Egyptian studies (which I hated). LOL Guess we're all different.

As to how the pioneers coped with such small quarters, I think that they were much more practical and satisfied than we were/are. It was a simpler time. I think that we can learn from their examples. BTW, my mom had 12 siblings and she slept in a double bed with 3 others, one on either side and one at the bottom of the bed. And one wet the bed regularly... :) That was just in the 1930s/1940s in a poor home. D
http://bywisdomahouseisbuilt.blogspot.com/